1kg sumo bot

may i ask your suggestions, about what gear motor and wheels can be used to build a 1 kg sumobot for competition using arduino romeo.
thanks!

Hello, Anj.

We do not have any direct experience with those robot chassis, but you might check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend for their chassis.

If you can tell me the torque you think you need from those motors, I might be able to recommend one of our gearmotors. You can see more about calculating the necessary torque in this blog post.

-Derrill

Thank you Derrill!
The chasis will be self fabricated from metal sheets and aluminum , not from manufucturer.
body will be about 20x20cm and all components ( controllers, sensors, arduino romeo + gear motor and 2wheels) together will be around 950gms…

my 6th grade instructor recommended to buy a micro motor gear 50:1 and 42mm wheels. but he cannot tell the torque needed. i do not have any experience and its my first time building this sumo robot…

i copied the specs of the gear from robot he pointed out…
Motor speed (No gearbox):13000 rpm
Gear ratio: 50:1
Motor speed (with gearbox): 260 rpm
Rated current: 30mA @ 6V
Stall current: 350mA @ 6V
Stall torque: 0.39kg*cm @ 6V

can you recommend something at par or higher from polulu?
also if you have the matching wheels?

thank you so much!

The closest match we have for that motor is our 50:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor LP 6V. Please note that our 50:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V, 75:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V and 100:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V are what we use in our Zumo robots which are intended for about 500g, so I suspect that none of those gearmotors motors are really appropriate for those loads. The 100:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V or an even higher gear ratio version might work, but it depends on many details specific to your robot and what you need it to do. You might look at our 25D gearmotors as a more powerful alternative to the micro metal gearmotors.

If you decide to stick with the micro metal gearmotors, our Wheel 40×7mm Pairs and our Wheel 42×19mm Pair will both fit.

-Derrill

Hello Derrill!
i will purchase and try the 25D gearmotors 75:1

thank you so much, God bless you!