How to get max torque from stepper motor with Tic T500

I am using the Tic T500 to control a stepper motor to have continuous motion at slow speeds such as 1 RPM. The stepper motor has plenty of torque in its spec, but with the Tic T500 I am not getting enough torque for my application.

Is using smaller steps such as half, 1/4, and 1/8 microsteps resolution better for getting more torque or is full step best?

Is there a configuration that is best for torque such as driving at fast speeds instead of slow?

If you increase the digitally updatable current limit, can that give more torque?

Any other ways to get more torque?

THANKS

Hello.

When you say that your stepper motor has plenty of torque in its spec, are you referring to the holding torque or the pull-out torque (i.e. the maximum torque it can deliver when driven at a certain speed)?

There are a few factors that can impact the pull-out torque, such as the operating voltage, current limit, and microstepping mode. A higher operating voltage might help as it allows the current ramp up faster between each step. A higher current limit should help as well, but you should typically not set it higher than the motor is rated for or higher than your stepper motor driver is rated for (which is 1.5A without additional cooling for the Tic T500), whichever is lower. Generally, the motor loses some torque at higher microstepping modes, although half-step can perform better than full-step in some cases.

If you still can’t get the expected power from your stepper motor with those general suggestions, could you post more specific information about your setup, such as what stepper motor and power supply you’re using, how you’re connecting it, and under what conditions you need more torque?

Brandon