Ardiuno UNO and a4983 with regulator and stepper motor

Hello.

Thank you for posting such clear pictures; it makes it very easy to immediately tell what the problem is: your stepper motor driver is not soldered to your header pins. You will not get a sufficient electrical connection between the driver PCB and the header pins with the board just resting loosely on them.

Note that there might be other problems with your setup, but it’s not worth looking into it in detail until you see if soldering the pins makes it work. Also, you might want to use a better power supply than a 9V battery; those cannot deliver much current, and hence are generally poor choices for high-current applications like driving motors.

- Ben

Its the Ipone baby…

Thanks for the quick reply i will check it tomorrow and tell you whats up, hope you are right and its the soldered/battery

So i did the soldered and i got a 12V battery. but something weird is happening: the GND connection is turning off the Ardiuno lights and when i uploading the code i getting this:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

It sounds like you might be shorting your Arduino’s logic power. Can you post another picture that shows all your connections, and also write out what connections you are trying to make? If you disconnect everything from your Arduino, can you successfully upload to it?

- Ben

i cant upload it even when the Arduino is disconnect, its giving me the same error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

I don’t say this to be mean, but that is probably the worst soldering job I have ever seen. It looks like you are just shorting all of your pins together, and in some cases you’re not even soldering the pins to the pads.

Your pins should look like this after soldering:

(I know this is a picture of a different product, but the point is the solder joints.)

I strongly urge you to take a look at some soldering tutorials before you try soldering something else.

Unfortunately, you likely killed your Arduino when you connected it to the stepper motor driver, and the stepper motor driver is probably not salvageable.

- Ben

ok, i did the soldering again with new a4983, the error that i got was because the Arduino was on serial port COM3 and not COM8. now i can upload the code and i even getting a really minor move from the motor. i thought maybe i still dont have enough power so i connect 2 battery but this was not helpful.
here is the new pic:

Your battery should be plenty sufficient for what you’re trying to do, and connecting two batteries in parallel could be very bad. I’m pretty sure the code you posted earlier in this thread will not work with the stepper motor driver you are using, so that could be the entire source of your problem. You can probably find sample code for using the A4983/A4988 drivers if you search this forum or the web, or you can just write it yourself (set the step and dir pins as outputs and hold the dir pin fixed high or low while you toggle the step pin from high to low once ever 100 ms or so).

If that doesn’t make things better, can you post your new code and describe the problem you’re having now in more detail? Are you confident you have the stepper motor connected correctly? Have you configured the current limit appropriately?

- Ben