Zumo32U4 as maze solving robot with walls

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if the IR sensor system of the Zumo32U4 would work to solve a maze with walls.

I mean, does the system could be configured to measure small changes of distance (about 5 mm) in order to control the robot motion.

I’ve tried to reduce the Brightness Levels but i didnt reach the sensitivity I’m looking for (It’s was too big, I could detect changes when the difference of distance was about 10 cm).

Is it possible to do this with the Zumo32U4 as it is or some extra sensors are needed?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

The IR sensor system on the robot is designed primarily to determine the direction of a target and, although it is possible to get some information about the reflectivity of an object (which should vary with distance), in practice we think it would be very hard to detect a 5mm distance change with them.

How far of a distance are you trying to determine the 5mm change over? You might be interested in our VL6180X Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator boards, which have about a 1mm resolution and work well at distances up to 10 cm.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan!

Thanks for your fast answer, that sensor is just amazing, I didn’t know it. I’ll buy some to give them a try.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

-Daniel