Zumo shield comments

Hey, Michael.

I just posted some example Zumo compass code in this thread that you might be interested in.

- Ben

Hi Ben,

that’s great news! I’ll try to read your code and see how I can get it onto my Zumo.

Currently working on the optical range finder. Takes time but I’ll get there.

Michael

For me, the hardest part of the assembly was the two nuts that go in the battery compartment. Trying to keep the nut in the nut-shaped pocket and get everything lined up and the little screw going was challenging.

Perhaps the nut-shaped indention’s in the plastic chassis could be made a little smaller? So that the nuts would press in and stay put?

Thanks,
Jim.

Use a small piece of tape! Any tape will do – Scotch tape works great.
If the instructions don’t already mention this, they probably should :slight_smile:

I just finished assembling the Zumo Bot today and found that it was indeed a PITA :slight_smile: But after reworking it I found that if you assembled it in slightly different way, it is actually easier. Try this out and let me know what you think.

For me the hardest part is putting the shield on top of the two-piece acrylic and trying to line up the motor leads, meanwhile keeping everything from falling apart. I find that if you just ignore the batter box altogether for this step, and flip the shield upside down (component side facing down) then it’s easier. Put the acrylic pieces on while you have the shield upside-down. Then put the motor on top of the acrylic. This should be easy enough to hold with your thumb and fingers, or you can use a tape. Solder the motors while in this position, but only one leg (you might need to adjust in the next step). Once the motors are held by one soldered leg, flip this right-side up and put on top of the battery box and line up the motors. This way, you only need the standard two hands everybody has instead of three …

I assembled my Zumo kit today, and for the most part everything went smoothly by following the directions in the user manual. I’m old, don’t see that well and got big fingers, but I was able to get it done. The tips about using tape to hold the nuts really helped!

I ran into 2 issues. One was when I went to push one of the drive sockets onto its motor, the motor slipped out of its socket back into the chassis, so I had to pry it back out. It doesn’t seem to have caused any damage, but something to watch out for just the same. The other is with the female header charging connector. The switch is so close that it prevents my charger’s connector from being able to slide down on it. I am trying it now with 2 jumper wires inserted and a pair of alligator clips attached to them, hopefully that will work without having to remove the batteries to charge them. If it doesn’t work, I will consider other options.

Although it is a tedious process, if you take your time and are careful, it will go together smoothly. I can’t wait to get to programing on it now!

Update
The alligator clip trick worked, battery charged right up!

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on building your Zumo kit. I am glad your alligator clip solution worked out for you. We always like to hear about our customer’s experiences with our products (including any problems they overcome), so please feel free to keep us updated on your progress!

-Brandon