ZUMO or 3PI+?

Greetings,
Which would be better if a camera will be added?
This is my first Robot.
Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Unfortunately, we do not have any specific guides or advice for adding a camera module to either our Zumo or 3pi+ robots. However, in case it helps, one of our customers developed an “Introduction to Robotics” course that uses a Zumo that was modified to use a PixyCam. There is a little more information about that in this blog post.

- Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you, that helps.
As I’m just starting, is one more powerful as far as adding additional componets in the future? I kow you can’t be specific as I don’t know what I would try to add but looking for a general opinion.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

We have 32U4 versions of both the Zumo and 3pi+ robots that have control boards that use an ATmega32U4 microcontroller. However, on both the Zumo 32U4 and the 3pi+ 32U4, all of the I/O pins on the microcontroller are already being used for other purposes, so there is probably not much benefit to one over the other in that respect. I suggest reviewing the “Adding electronics” sections of their respective user’s guides for suggestions for how to connect additional electronics.

Alternatively, we have chassis kits for both robots that do not come with any electronics as well as general purpose robot chassis, so you could use those as the base for a robot and use a different microcontroller and control electronics, but that would be quite ambitious for a first robot project.

- Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you. I’ll review the documentation as suggested.