Would 100:1 Metal Gearmotor 37Dx57L mm work well with 16.8V?

Hi guys! :smiley:
The Pololuā€™s 100:1 Metal Gearmotor 37Dx57L mm is intended to work with 12Vā€¦
My four cellā€™s LiPo battery pack works between 12V and 16,8V. :confused:

I would like to know if there is any problem to work with this motor at 16,8Vā€¦
What changes might occur regarding the specs?

Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello.

The higher the voltage the faster the motor will go and the shorter the life expectancy will be. Unfortunately, we have not done any life-expectancy tests of the motors at that voltage, and there are not any specs. from the manufacturer, so we donā€™t know how much worse the life expectancy will be. Here is an application note about life-expectancy tests done on an entirely different motor:

https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J11

- Ryan

Hello.

More specifically, the free-run speed and stall torque of your motor should scale approximately linearly with the motor voltage. As Ryan said, the life expectancy of the motor goes down as the motor voltage goes up (typically due to damage to the brushes), and risk of damaging the motor by stalling it becomes higher (note that in general, stalling a motor for prolonged periods of time can be pretty bad for it). The article that Ryan linked to shows tests involving a much lower quality, ā€œtoyā€ motor, so I do not expect the particular results to be representative of what you should expect from your motor. The main point is just to see that as the voltage goes up, the life expectancy of a motor generally goes down.

- Ben

Thanks for your quick reply guys! :smiley: I really appreciate your help!

Great app note, it helped me a lot! :astonished:

Diego