Win XP SP3 driver install: "installer was interrupted"

I’m trying to install the Maestro USB Servo Controller drivers on a Windows XP SP3 computer. When executing setup.exe (of driver version 121203), I first get a “preparing to install” and after 10 seconds or so the installer stops with the message “The installer was interrupted before Pololu Maestro USB Servo Controller could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again”. I tried again (with different users including the main user and the “Administrator” user of XP) with the same result.

Does the installer create a logfile somewhere, which could tell me what the problem is?

Hello. I am sorry you are having trouble installing the Maestro software. If you haven’t already, I would try rebooting to see if that helps. You should be able to get some kind of log if you run the installer with the command-line utility msiexec and provide it the proper options. Please let us know what you figure out.

–David

Appended is the log I got when running the following command:

msiexec /I Maestro.msi /L*vx log.txt

Never wrote an MSI installer myself, so I don’t know if there’s something useful to get out of it.

I managed to extract the files from the MSI by running this:

msiexec /a Maestro.msi /qb TARGETDIR="C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\lupin\Desktop\maestro-windows-121203\contents"

Out of the contents directory I could then install the drivers (right click the inf-files and “install”) and when connecting the controller via USB, Windows found the right drivers (after accepting “install anyway” 3 times). Running the control center in the bin directory now lets me control servos with a Mini Maestro 24. So drivers and programs are working, just the installer seems to be broken (at least for me).
log.txt (27.4 KB)

I am glad you were able to get the files out of the installer and use them successfully. You should be able to use the Maestro Control Center without any problems now, but let us know if you have problems.

Thank you for the log file. I think the first line of the log where something goes wrong is:

Action ended 21:24:30: DIRCA_CheckFX. Return value 3.

A non-zero error usually means there was an error.

–David