Will tihis PC controlled robot architecture work?

I intend to build a robot rover controlled by an on-vehicle IBM-compatible PC (running windows or linux).

The PC is based around a VIA Mini-ITX motherboard, and powered by 12V battery. I intend to use Java to control the robot actions through PC serial port.

I am not yet very familiar with robots/electronics (being a high-level programmer), so I need some initial advice on architecture.

Will this setup work ?

-----------
|12V battery|
|to power PC|
 -----------
  |  
 ------
|IBM PC|
 ------
  |
 --------------
|PC serial port|
 --------------
  |
 -------------------------
|Pololu 8-Servo Controller|
 -------------------------
  |
 -------------------------------------
|Pololu Dual Serial Motor Controller-1|
 -------------------------------------
  |     |
  |    ------------------------- 
  |   |2 Gearmotors Tamiya 72004|
  |    -------------------------
  |
 ----------------------------------
|4 NiMH 1.2V 2200 mAh in parallell |
 ----------------------------------

Any advice or suggestions for changes/improvements would be very welcome!

Hello,

I suspect that the motors and motor controller you have selected would be too weak for the size of robot you are discussing. The Tamiya gearboxes are toys suitable for robots up to around one pound, and it sounds like your robot might end up closer to 5 pounds. You might consider our 3-Amp motor controller and some more heavy-duty motors than what we carry.

- Jan

You also shouldn’t run batteries in parallel. While this gives you higher current draw, you can discharge on of the batteries to far by accident. You will get better performance by running them in series(4.8V 2200mAh) or at least series/parallel (2.4V 44mAh).