Which Pololu Servo Controller?

Hello!

I am new to this (i.e. I have not started), so sorry if the question is obvious or incomprehensible. I am looking for advice on which controller to get… Heres what I would like to do:

Using 3 analogue voltage signals (range can be anything) control a single digital servo (quite powerful i.e. HSR-5990TG). I will need to be able to write some code to interpret the analogue signals correctly. Ideally I would be able to set the speed and range of the servo movement and these movements would be smooooth.

(I think) A USB interface would be nice. Can this be done with the controllers and which one would be best?

Maybe pololu.com/catalog/product/1350 ?

Many thanks!

Hello,

It seems like the Micro Maestro (product 1350) is perfect for your application. You just configure 3 of the channels to be analog inputs, and write some code to control the servo based on the analog values.

- Ryan

Many thanks Ryan! That’s excellent.

The only thing is that I am in the UK and I cannot seem to find it here… :frowning: The two places I have bought stuff from before have these:

active-robots.com/products/m … lers.shtml
and
technobots.co.uk/acatalog/On … rs_69.html

Would the Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller do the job as well (but with serial)? Else I can see if they can order it in… hmm…

Pololu will ship products directly to the UK. We do have some UK distributors, you could ask them to start carrying the Micro Maestro. We just started selling it, so they’d probably be happy to know about this new exciting product.

The MicroSSC does not have analog inputs, it does not have a USB interface, and you cannot store and execute scripts for controlling servos on it. Since you specifically needed to do some analog readings, the Micro Maestro could save you the trouble of having an additional microcontroller doing A to D conversions.

- Ryan

Once again, thank you very much for your help. Sounds very much like the maestro is the way to go. I will contact my local (and your UK) distributors as you suggested and see what they say. Depending on what they say I may well be ordering from you! Cheers :slight_smile: