What zumo to buy to use Scratch Programming

Hello,
I am planing to use zumo to teach robotics programming to my students and especialy i would like to use the Scratch programming language.
So i would like to ask you what zumo robot should i order and what parts it will be need for it.
I also plan to use it in Robotic Competitions.

Hello,

We do not have direct support for Scratch for either of our Zumo robots, but since the Zumo robots are programmed with the Arduino IDE, you could probably use the Arduino extension for scratch with them. Our Arduino shield version of the Zumo is used with standard Arduino boards like the Arduino Uno, so it might be a good choice if you want to be able to use Arduino boards separately too, or if you are very familiar with them. Otherwise, the Zumo32U4 uses the same ATmega32U4 microcontroller as the Arduino Leonardo, and has a lot of extra sensor options that the Zumo shield does not.

-Derrill

So with both of them Arduino version and the Zumo32U4 I maybe able to use the scratch with the Arduino for scratch extension?
What is the different of the Zumo32U4 over the Arduino version?

You can see the differences between those Zumo robots in the “Comparison with the Zumo robot kit for Arduino (with Zumo Shield)” section of the Zumo 32U4 product page.

It should be possible to control an Arduino and therefore a Zumo with those Scratch extensions, but the additional Arduino libraries we have for our Zumos would likely not be supported by Scratch, so you would need to write your own code to handle hardware like the sensors, motors, and the LCD. I suspect writing those additional extensions would not be a trivial thing, but it should be possible.

-Derrill