I have a VL6180X tof sensor being used to detect distances in the 25mm-80mm range. I am having problems with it freezing sometimes unexpectedly at a particular value and not working. Not sure what could be causing the problem. I am aware that there are registers with settings that can be updated on the sensor with respect to the operating conditions. I have confirmed they are all correct. In addition I have ruled out any hardware issues.
Even when it does work it always gives data values in pairs. For example (55,55 56,56 45,45) at any frequency. I think this is happening because it gives a system error 0x01 every other value.
I have seen that other people have had similar problems with this sensor but none have worked for me.
There are a few potential causes for the problems you are experiencing with your VL6180X ToF sensor. Some possible causes and suggestions for troubleshooting are:
- Power supply issues: Make sure that the sensor is getting a stable power supply with the correct voltage and current. Check for any noise or voltage spikes on the power supply line that could be causing problems.
- Noise or interference: Make sure that the sensor is not being affected by any electrical noise or interference. This could be caused by other electronic devices in the area or by the sensor being too close to a noisy power supply. Try moving the sensor to a different location or shielding it from noise sources.
- Firmware issues: The sensor’s firmware may be causing problems. Make sure that you are using the latest version of the firmware and that it is properly configured for your operating conditions.
- Communication issues: Make sure that the communication between the sensor and your microcontroller or other device is working properly. Check for any errors or issues with the communication interface, such as incorrect baud rate or incorrect wiring.
- Sensor malfunction: If none of the above suggestions resolve the issue, it is possible that the sensor itself is malfunctioning. In this case, you may need to replace the sensor or have it repaired.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. If you continue to experience problems with your VL6180X ToF sensor, you may want to consider seeking additional support from the manufacturer or a technical expert.
Thanks for the reply.
What do you mean by the sensor’s firmware?
I moved this thread to the sensors support category since this seems like a more appropriate place for it.
Can you post more information about your setup, like what you are using to power and read the sensor along with pictures showing all of your connections? If you are using or have access to an Arduino compatible controller, can you try the example programs from our VL6180X library for Arduino and see if the same behavior occurs?
The firmware in the VL6180X is not modifiable by the user, so the suggestion to check it is not useful.
i tested the sensor on an arduino using the libraries you suggested but the problem remains. i have 2 of these sensors and they both freeze. the blinking LED light used for distance measurement stops when the output freezes at a certain number. also the TX LED on the arduino stops blinking at the same time as the sensor LED.
I am not sure what you are referring to when you mention the "blinking LED light used for distance measurement ". Our VL6180X carrier does not have an LED, and our example programs do not use the Arduino’s LEDs.
Can you post some pictures of your setup, including close up pictures of the sensor carrier so I can confirm it is one we made?
Sorry, meant the laser light.
Please post the pictures I requested in my previous posts.