VL53L0X values are always yero

Hello pololu forum,

i wanted to use the vl53l0x sensor. I compiled the linux driver files (from STM) and
loaded it. Under /dev i can see the stmvl53l0x_ranging when the device is connected. Ialso see the 0x29 address in the i2c bus.

I also compiled the vl53l0x_test.c where the vl53l0x is opened and ranging data should be read. But the output
Range Data , error status signalRate_mcps and Amb Rate_mcps
is always zero. The program does not report any error.

I want to test the sensor, can someone tell me what i am doing wrong please. Or are there some other test i can do or some test code.

Regards,

Alex

Hello, Alex.

What do you mean by Linux driver files? Do you have a link to the files you used?

-Nathan

Hello Nathan,

i donwloaded a zip file from STM after registering and there was a code
part which can be used under Linux. I compiled the code under the driver folder
and loaded it as a module and the stmvl53l0x_ranging became visible under /dev.

I am sorry, but i have no partition online where i can put the code. It is the official
c source from STM (en.STSW-IMG005.zip).

So what i am wondering is, that it seems, i can open the sensor without error
but it delivers no data.
The sensor should be ok, as when i try to call it with a simple open and ioctl,
i get some output (which make no sense without the correct decoding from the API).

Can i mail you the code, if you want it?

Regards,

Alex

Unfortunately, we do not know a lot about the Linux driver included in the ST API download. We recommend contacting ST if you continue to have trouble. Are you using our carrier board? If you post a picture or diagram of your setup, we can try to make sure there’s nothing wrong with your connections. Also, if you have access to an Arduino, we might be able to help you test the functionality of the board.

-Nathan

Hello Nathan,

i think it is not a hardware problem as the i2c tools can detect the sensor. It is a problem using the software and the right commands. Perhaps i will try it with an arduino.

Thanks for support.

Regards,

Alex