VL53L0X on a custom PCB

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for the VL53L0x board and library that work really well! After using a lot of the sensors from Pololu I would like to create a custom PCB for it, as a very small daughter board from my microcontroller.
So my questions are:

• Is the sensor really sensitive? Would it break if not soldered exactly like the reflow profile stated in the datasheet section 8.4?

• I am planing to control the sensor using 3V3 i2c signals. I have succesfully tested this with a Pololu board stripped of all the components (2V8 regulators and transistors) and using 3v3 i2c signals with pull-up resistors. However, is there a first-time configuration that is required for the first start to activate this mode? I’m seeing 1v8 and 2v8 options on the datasheet but nothing seems to indicate that it would now work at 3V3 (maximum is 3v5/3v6)

• Calibration: datasheet section 2.3 indicates that a customer calibration must be done. Do you guys at Pololu do that? With what parameters?

Thanks in advance, – Coverti

Hello.

We have expensive equipment to assemble our boards with the proper profiles, so we do not have information on how much abuse these parts will take with some more crude assembly methods. We also do not have any first-hand experience to share regarding using the sensors at a higher voltage.

We do not do any calibration since the sensor does not have a place to store that calibration information.

-Nathan