VL53L0X and sunlight

Ciao guys,
I am working with VL53L0X ToF sensor along with arduino Nano, I use your library (ver. 1.3.1). I would like to know if it possible to change receinving sensibility.
I would like to use the sensor outdoors but I have noticed that sunlight creates some false signals.
Is it possible to send a pulse train signal (encoded, like TV remote control)?
As an alternative, I’ve thought about changing the sensitivity of the receiver but I don’t know what command to use.
What do you recommend to solve the problem due to sunlight? Indoors it works very well.

thanks

p.s.: sorry for my english…

Hello.

The VL53L0X sensor uses complex processing to turn time-of-flight measurements into distance measurements, so we do not know of a way to modulate its signal like you might with a simpler reflective ranging system. Its effective range and accuracy depend heavily on ambient conditions, so we expect it to not perform as well outdoors. Section 5.2 of the VL53L0X datasheet, which is available on the product page under the “Resources” tab has some data about this.

We do not have much specific advice since the details will depend on each specific application, but if you want to try to optimize your VL53L0X setup to work outdoors, you might consider trying to physically shroud the sensor or adding a cover window (there is an application note about that in ST’s documentation). You could also try playing with some of the sensor’s configuration options; the single.ino example program shows how you can use our VL53L0X library to edit some of those.

If none of that works, then you might consider trying the VL53L1X, which is similar but has a longer range; that might allow it to give more reliable readings in bright conditions.

- Patrick