Using Windows shell to send data to Orangutan over serial

I’m trying to send some data over the using the USB programmer to my Orangutang using the Windows shell command:

c:\echo test >com3

A character does appear on the Orangutan LCD, but it’s giberish (a character consisting of two weirdly placed dots).

My com port settings are:

c:\mode com3:115200,N,8,1

Status for device COM3:
-----------------------
    Baud:            115200
    Parity:          None
    Data Bits:       8
    Stop Bits:       1
    Timeout:         ON
    XON/XOFF:        OFF
    CTS handshaking: OFF
    DSR handshaking: OFF
    DSR sensitivity: OFF
    DTR circuit:     ON
    RTS circuit:     ON

These settings are the same as in Hyperterm.exe (as far as they can be set in Hyperterm.exe). Hyperterm can send data without any problems.

Has anybody managed to send data to the Orangutan this way?

Hello,

I’m not familiar enough with the shell command to give you any direct help, but you make no mention of your program on the Orangutan. Perhaps including that might help. If you set it up to print the hex values of what it’s receiving (as opposed to treating the bytes as ascii), at least you could figure out what is coming out the serial port.

- Jan

Sorry Jan: I’m using LV168Demo4 to test the serial port. The jumper on the programmer is set to U mode, and the TX pin is connected to the PD0 on the Orangutan. The programmer is also grounded with the Orangutan. Hyperterm.exe can send data without problems, so the physical connection should be ok.

I’ve found a good manual for the mode command:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 90932.aspx

I’ve setup Com3 with these settings:

C:\>mode com3 baud=115200 parity=n data=8 stop=1 to=off xon=off octs=off odsr=off dtr=off rts=off

Status for device COM3:
-----------------------
    Baud:            115200
    Parity:          None
    Data Bits:       8
    Stop Bits:       1
    Timeout:         OFF
    XON/XOFF:        OFF
    CTS handshaking: OFF
    DSR handshaking: OFF
    DSR sensitivity: OFF
    DTR circuit:     OFF
    RTS circuit:     OFF

I’ve changed the LV168program4 so it sends data to the lcd with lcd_int(RXchar) (that would send the numerical ascii code, right?)

Somehow it always seems to receive an integer value of ‘10’, no matter which or how many characters I send. Even if I send 7 or 8 characters it only prints ‘10’ one time.

If somebody knows of another way to send data over the serial port from the command line in Windows I would love to know. All I need is something that lets me send data from PHP, so anything that can be called from a shell command will do.