Using the Zumo Chasis Kit with multiple devices

Hello there,
I am looking to make a robot using the Zumo Chasis Kit and Arduino capable of line following (Zumo array), wall following (hc-sr04) and obstacle avoiding using yourduino.com/sunshop2/index.php … tail&p=250 this pan and tilt sensor kit (again hc-sr04 mounted on the pan and tilt kit), all at the same time.

So, 6 zumo array pins should go to 6 digital I/O pins.

Two HC-SR04s will be used, so two other inputs right there.

One at the side for wall following, and the other at the front on the servo kit for multi-directional obstacle avoiding. Or do you think it’s not possible handling two servos at a time? I did find a certain library conflict document, but didn’t quite get the idea. Or maybe if two servos can’t be handled, i could use 2 hc-sr04s in the front and remove the servo pan and tilt kit?

I haven’t yet ordered the zumo, but does it look possible for handling all these devices from the Uno and Zumo shield considering so many pins available. We can simultaneously use the various gnd pins, vcc pins, can’t we? Like, i’ll be needing 5 vcc and gnd pins in total ( 1 for zumo array sensor, 2 for hc-sr04 and 2 for the servo kit). Please mention if i need an upgrade or modification. Thankyou!!

Hello.

In order to have enough I/O for everything you want to do, you will need to use some of the Zumo’s optionally dedicated I/O lines for your peripherals.These lines include pins 3 and 6 (one of which can be used to control the buzzer) and the two I2C pins (which connect to the compass by default). You can also use pin 12, which is connected to the user pushbutton, for other purposes. You can see what the pin assignments for these lines are on the Zumo shield in the “Arduino pin assignment table” section of the user’s guide. You can also find more information about how to make these connections available in step 5 of the “Assembling the Zumo Shield and chassis” section of the user’s guide.

You can tap into the various voltage rails at multiple points on the shield, but please note that you will probably need to power the servos directly from the Zumo’s batteries as the Arduino’s regulator probably would not be able to supply enough current for the servos.

- Grant