Using QTR Reflective Sensors for fluid level

Hello - Do you think it would be possible to use the QTR sensors to detect fluid level? Maybe mount it on the outside of the container or in a clear tub in the container? The container would be an opaque with 275 gallon tote. The fluid is corrosive and has a dye added to it to color it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Anthony

Hello, Anthony,

We have not tried using our reflective sensors in that way, so we cannot say if it will work or not. If you do decide to try it, we would be interested to hear your results!

You might also consider trying one of our time of flight sensors to measure the distance from the top of your container to the top of the fluid. Once again, this isn’t something we’ve specifically tried, so I’m not sure how well it would work. Please note that I have heard that they specifically do not work well measuring the distance to the surface of water due to how it affects the reflection of the laser, but I have also heard they can be used with other liquid substances like oil, so maybe they would also work with your liquid.

By the way, you might also look into sensors like this linescan sensor from Parallax to see if it might work for your application.

-Dan