USB-to-Serial adapter problem: device not recognized

Hi,

I am trying to connect a UM6 to my laptop via a Pololu USB-to-Serial Adapter (see photo). My laptop is a 64-bit mac 10.7 therefore I am using Virtual Box with windows XP (32-bit) to run the CH robotics interface software. I have installed the respective drivers on both OS. When I connect the USB to the mac the red Rx LED turns on (continuously) and so appears to be working. When I connect the USB when in virtual Windows it comes up with a message “USB device not recognized”, and only the UM6 power LED turns on. It also doesn’t appear under the Ports in Device Manager. I have set a filter for the USB adapter in Vitual Box settings, I have successfully used other USB devices in Virtual Box.

Is the problem that I am running a 32-bit version of Windows on a 64-bit mac? and is there a get around solution or do I have to buy a 64-bit version of Windows?

Appreciate any advice,

Thanks.

Hello.

It sounds like the computer is not recognizing the USB-to-Serial Adapter as a COM port in the VirtualBox. Could you try connecting on the Pololu USB-to-Serial Adapter without the UM6 and see if the Mac recognizes it? The command “ioreg -p IOUSB -l -w 0” should show you a reasonable name for the device. Also, could you post another photo that clearly shows the connections on the board? What is the red wire from VDD connected to?

- Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I have changed my laptop to run in dualboot rather than use Virtual box, which has solved my problem.

Cheers,

Nathan