USB Host Mode

I have been reading about the android ADK, which uses a USB host mode shield to connect arduino avr devices to an android phone/tablet…

I am keen to do this for my avr project(s), but being a pololu user, would like to see a suitable device for pololu products…

Just a thought…
circuitsathome.com/category/ … usb-shield
developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have often thought that a cell phone or tablet would be a great device to serve as the brain of an advanced robot, and as Android becomes more and more popular, it seems like it could be a good platform to focus on. We do not have any products in the works with a USB Host mode or with Android compatibility, but we sell the ARM mbed, which can be a USB Host and also can be integrated with the 3pi robot, and we sell Bluetooth modules that Android devices can probably easily use to communicate with any of the products we sell that have a serial interface. (Note that the Bluetooth modules run at 3.3V, so most of our products would require some kind of level conversion.)

Many people are using Pololu products with Arduino boards, and the ADK seems to be based on an Arduino, so I expect that it will be easy to connect to our devices if that is what you want to do. Otherwise, could you say a little about what you like about the ADK and what you would want from a Pololu version? Also, what is the advantage of having a direct connection instead of using Bluetooth? (I can see it being really annoying to use the USB connection if you are also trying to program the Android device from a PC.) And does the kit really cost $390?

-Paul

Its a mad price…

I have just ordered a arduino usb host shield and atmega328 board, at $70 NZ all up, looks like it will do the trick…

Its going to be interesting to see how it all goes together…