USB AVR Programmer with Atmega32u4 Breakout Board

Hello - has anyone had any success burning the bootloader on this board using the Arduino 1.0-RC2 IDE? The programmer is recongnized correctly as is the board. I can upload sketches to the board and all works fine. I wanted to reburn the Leonardo bootloader using the Pololu AVR Programmer, however I cannot get it to work. I tried following the instructions here pololu.com/docs/0J17/3 by changing the programmers.txt and boards.txt files to include avrispv2, but it still does not work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

The final release of Arduino 1.0 is now available, so could you try with that and tell us how the procedure fails? If you encounter any error messages, please show us what they say.

- Kevin

Hello - thank you for your reply. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure this out. It works fine with AVR Studio 4, but for some reason, I’m sure is a simple thing I’m missing, it won’t work with the Arduino IDE. I tried it with the Arduino 0023 release and it just hangs. When I press the reset button on the breakout board, this is what I get.

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

Nothing I’ve tried has worked.

Thank you for your help!

I just figured out a sequence of steps that allowed me to burn the Arduino bootloader on a Baby Orangutan B-328 (which uses an ATmega328) using our USB AVR programmer, which I posted here. Maybe you could look through those instructions and try to modify them to work in your situation.

I didn’t encounter the specific error messages that you mentioned, so unfortunately I can’t point you at something specific that you could try changing.

- Kevin

Kevin - Thank you for your reply! It was something silly as I suspected, but your post pointed me right to the problem. Being new at this, I missed the Arduino instruction that the serial port had to be changed to the programmer. I had been wondering how it resolved the port for the programmer, but did not think to change the serial port in tools since the text in the status at the bottom of the screen always showed the Arduino board, never the programmer. For example, it shows Arduino Leonardo on COM 15. If you change it to match the programmer, I expected it to say something like, AVR ISP V2 on COM 2. Anyway, since your steps specifically said to change the port, I knew right away that it was what I had missed. Thanks again for you help!