USB AVR Programmer PgmCmd Settings on Mac OS X

I’ve been trying to come up with a creative way to set the line A and B settings using Mac OS X. I understand that the PgmCmd solution is not supported on this OS, but is there a way to send a message through the serial port similar to how one can flash the firmware (fwbootload)? Perhaps there’s a way to build a custom firmware that would assign line A to DTR?

The idea struck me to use Linux/Windows tools to set line A assignment, but since custom firmware is required to get the USB AVR Programmer to work on Mac OS X already, there’s no possibility of cross-platform use without re-flashing the firmware.

I’m looking for a lightweight solution. (rather not do VirtualBox, Darwine, etc.)

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Hello. The programmer’s standard (non-custom) firmware works on Mac OS X 10.7 (Mountain Lion) and later. The setting you are talking about is stored in the programmer’s non-volatile memory, so you just need to set it once and the programmer will remember it. The quickest option would be to just go use a friend’s Windows computer. If that is not an option, you could try installing mono and compiling PgmCmd on your Mac; I have not tried this so I am not sure if it will work. The light-weight solution would be to write a little C or C++ program using libusb or IO Kit to send the right control transfer, and read the source code of PgmCmd as a reference for how to do that.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change those options with a serial command.

–David