Unable to upload sketch via Arduino ISP to Zumo 32U4

I have installed the latest Arduino IDE (V 1.6.6) on my Windows 7 laptop I have successfully, I believe, linked the libraries and examples and can successfully compile the sketch. My problem is in being able to upload the sketch to the Zumo 32U4. I see no activity on any of the LED’s when the program is being transferred and the demo program remains in memory.

This is my first blog entry and first time Zumo experience, though I have used the Arduino IDE for other projects.

Hello.

I am not sure what might be causing the issue. What sketch are you trying to upload to your Zumo 32U4? If it is not one of the examples for the Zumo 32U4, can you post the entire code here so that we can see if there is something obviously wrong with it? When you say “the program is being transferred and the demo program remains in memory”, it sounds like the Arduino IDE indicates that the sketch uploaded successfully and without any errors. Is that correct?

We have heard of people running into issues when using Arduino 1.6.6. You might try updating your Arduino IDE version to 1.6.7 to see if that changes anything.

- Amanda

Hello,

Yes, I’ve tried to load several of the demo software sketches for the Zumo32U4.
What I see is the compile go through it’s paces without issue, when I attempt to upload using the Arduino IDE 1.6.6 Windows package, the green activity indicator line in the middle lower right completes its indication, but no activity lights on the Zumo32U4 flicker, indicating it loading anything to the board, nor does the program change from the factory installed Demo to the sketch I’ve attempted to upload.

I’ve attempted this with Arduino 1.6.6 as well as 1.6.5 and a couple of hourly uploads.

I believe I’ve identified the issue, I simply don’t know how it fix the problem. Within the Arduino IDE, when I go to :Tools", “Board:” I’m unable to select any board for AVR. The first option is “Arduino AVR Boards” but the selection is grayed out and is unselectable. Zumo32U4 shows up at the bottom of the include library list and under Examples From Custom Libraries under the “File”, “Examples” in the menu string.

1 Like

From the description of what you are seeing in the Tool->Boards menu of your Arduino IDE, I suspect that the Zumo 32U4 software and drivers are not installed correctly. If you did not install the software and drivers, you can download the ZIP file containing those files from the “Resources” tab on any of the Zumo 32U4 product pages. For more information, see the “Programming the Zumo 32U4” section of the Pololu Zumo 32U4 Robot User’s Guide.

If you are still having trouble, please post a screenshot of your Device Manager with the “Ports (COM & LPT)” and “Pololu USB Devices” entries expanded and a screenshot of your Arduino IDE showing the list of boards under the Tool->Boards menu.

- Amanda