Unable to download using arduino shield

I recently purchased and set up the Arduino kit including the shield and two Wixels. with a program already downloaded to the Arduino, I can communicate data from the Arduino (Duemilanova) through the wixels, to the PC and print it out on the PC ok. But when I try to program the Arduino with a new program, I get and error messages

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x54
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x54

and the download fails. The COM port is set correctly and the two wixels are set up with the same frequency. The two are less than a foot apart.

Any ideas??

Hello.

Have you configured the Wixels to use the correct baud rate? Check out the Configuring the Wixels section of the Wixel User’s Guide for more details.

- Ryan

Yes, they are both set at 9600 baud. As I said, I can send data from the Arduino to the PC and it is read correctly, so the two Wixels are communicating.

To program the Arduino, the Wixel connected to the shield must be set to a specific baud rate. The correct baud rate to set it to is in the table in the section of the user’s guide that I linked to in my last post. If you have an Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328, the correct baud rate is 57600. If you have a Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega168, it is 19200. 9600 will not work. Here is a quote from the Wixel Shield User’s Guide:

-Ryan

Sorry–like you requested “read the manual”. Now working fine. Thanks for your help.