Turning Micro-Metal Gearmotors by hand

Hello,

Quick question for you all. I’ve looked all over, including places where your motors are resold and haven’t been able to find the answer. Are the Pololu micro-metal gearmotors turnable by hand (specific motor in question is the extended shaft 50:1, pololu.com/catalog/product/2203)? My application would have it connected to an object that normally would be turned by the motor but would also occasionally be turned by hand while the motor was in a powered down state. It would also have the optical encoder you sell attached to track how much it moved. Is this possible?

Thanks!
-=Izrun

It is easy to turn the 50:1 and 75:1 motors by hand, if a small knob or wheel (2-3 cm in diameter) is attached to the gearbox output shaft. With the 100:1, I have a bit of difficulty starting it up and the motion is somewhat jerky. I see no reason why the encoder wouldn’t track the motion, but I haven’t verified it myself.

Thanks! That is great! I don’t think I need the torque of the 100:1. I can’t wait for my package to get here.