Trying to program a Zumo Robot for Arduino, v1.2

I have a Zumo Robot for Arduino, v1.2 (Assembled with 75:1 HP Motors) and when I try to program it using one of the included examples there are a lot of errors and a garbled mess of nonsense is spat out in between the useful errors. I think that I have correctly installed the drivers and the readable errors include things like
error: ‘ZumoMotors’ does not name a type
error: ‘Motors’ was not declared in this scope.
Also the system is Windows 7 and I don’t have Admin rights because its a school computer
Im trying to use this bot to compete in Science Olympiad and I only know some basics with Arduino programming.
I also need some help to find a tune-able code that we can use to make it do basic things like go straight in a line for x feet and turn.
All help is greatly appreciated!

Hello.

It sounds like the Zumo Shield libraries were not installed properly. If you have not already done so, please download the zumo-shield libraries from its GitHub as a ZIP file and follow the installation instructions under the “Software” heading in the “Getting Started” section. If you have installed the libraries correctly and the problem persists, can you post a screenshot of the directory you have the libraries installed?

As for driving a certain distance before turning, if you want precise control of the distance traveled, you would probably need additional sensors like encoders. If accuracy is not important for you, then you could use timing to determine the approximate distance traveled. We do not have any example code for the Zumo Robot for Arduino that uses encoders.

- Amanda

1 Like