Pololu Robotics & Electronics
Menu
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

Pololu Forum

Tic-Tac-Toe game powered by Pololu

I made simple device powered by Pololu Baby Orangutan B-328 controller: Hand-Held Tic-Tac-Toe.

Here is link to short YouTube movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jq0kD2AjSo

I will share schematic and C code soon…

Jumbleview

Cool! That’s a fun interface. Please share what part you’re using for that encoder/pushbutton, too.

- Jan

Thanks for reply, Jan…

Here is description in short.
Hardware:

1. Central computer: Pololu Baby Orangutan B-328 Robot Controller.
  2. Game board: Nine bipolar (green/red) leds.
  3. Input device: Panasonic EVQ-WTEF2515B Mechanical Rotary Encoder. It has 5 pins: 3 pins for encoder (1 ground pin and two pins which provide shifted impulses). In addition to rotary encoder this device has push button with two more pins. I ordered it here:
    http://www.goldmine-elec.com/
  4. Power adapter. Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 2.5-9.5V .
  5. RadioShack battery holder for two batteries. Alcaline 1.5 V or 1.2 V Ni Mh can be used,
  6. RadioShack SPDT Sub-Mini Slide Switch to switch power on/off.
  7. All components are mounted on RadioShack PC board and enclosed inside
    box from Johnson & Johnson Mini First Aid Kit

Software:
I programmed this game in C. As tools I used AVR Studio 4 IDE with WinAVR C compiler .

Hi jumbleview,

This is another awesome project for beginners!

Have you had a chance to work on a publishable version of your code, and a basic schematic? I think that if you posted a tutorial on this, it would be a great asset to beginners. Even without a full tutorial (if you can’t afford the time) it would be neat to see the code for the device!

Anyway, great work!

-Reed

Thank you Reed. No I did not publish the code yet. There are two reasons for that:
1.I did not see much interest neither here nor at youtube: you are the second person who asked (the first person was Site Admin and there is a high chance he did it just to be polite).
2.But the main reason is that I am not satisfied with quality of game program itself. The game algorithm I coded is homebrew and should not be used as educational example. I still think to redo it using game three approach. As soon as I’ll finish I will publish it somewhere and will provide the link. But I cannot promise exact date. Sorry…

Jumbleview