Tamiya 70097 Twin-Motor Gearbox

Hi,
I was just wondering about what size motors can fit into this gearbox and whether this motor would fit:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/techsupplies.storefront/4051f4fd013bea8a2740c2c98abb071e/Product/View/GBX006
Thanks,
Ben

Hello,

The 70097 gearbox is made for “130”-size motors, and it will not readily accomodate a different motor. We have heard of people modifying the gearbox to fit stepper motors, but your motor looks far too large for this small gearbox.

- Jan

For the default motors included with the gearbox, what voltage is right? Little guys like this sometimes take just 1.5 volts; is that right for these?

Bob

Hello,

The motors are 3 V motors, and they will run off of 1.5 V. You can run the motors at 6 V and up, but they get noisy and will wear out sooner.

- Jan

My dual motor controller seems to shut down a lot when running just one of the Tamiya motors. When I looked at the current draw, it seemed FAR higher than expected… either my meter went bananas, or these draw more than I would have thought.

Do you happen to know what the real current draw is? I’ve got them running in a 70097 gearbox propped up so the wheels are free-spinning.

Bob

Hello,

The motors in the Tamiya 70097 gearbox typically draw a little under 300 mA with no load at 3 V. With the gearbox, but without a load, the current draw goes up to about 400-500 mA. If you are seeing much more than that, check the gearbox to make sure there is no debris caught in the axles. Make sure everything is well lubricated, too.

If you put a large load on the gearbox or if you use higher voltages, then you will get much higher currents, which will cause the motor controller to overheat. You can help the situation by putting a heatsink on the motor controller.

- Jan

What type of heatsink do you recommend Jan? How would you attach it w/o shorting anything on the controller board (I’m referring to the 0411 micro controller)?

Mike