Pololu Robotics & Electronics
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

Super Quiet DC Motor?

I’m looking for an extremely quiet DC motor to run at 9V but low RPM. I’ve tried some Pololu motors and a Sayama one that’s quite common, but both are too loud for my project (the motor is going to sit inside a plastic model kit and spin a hemispherical dome).

Any suggestions? You can see my WIP of the circuit here:

Forgot to mention - the motor needs to be roughly the same size as the Sayama.

Could you use a stepper motor? There are some small stepper motors that are pretty quiet.
That will get rid of the gear box noise, but you will have less torque compared to a geared motor.

Thanks jwatte. I don’t need a lot of torque since it’s just spinning a small plastic hemisphere but I’m more worried about having a stepper motor just spin continuously as opposed to its normal use of discrete steps (I have to admit, I haven’t worked with stepper motors before so I’m not that familiar with them).

If you step a stepper motor at a consistent step rate, it will be spinning continuously.
Stepper motors are used for all kinds of things that rotate or travel, movement can be very smooth.
Easiest is to use a controller, and tie a PWM output to the controller to generate the step pulses; vary the PWM frequency to vary the speed.