Studio 6

I have been trying to get studio 5.1 and am having no luck on the Atmel site. They seem to be pushing Studio 6 and none of the older versions seem to really be available even though the site looks like you should be able to down load them. Even going through the annoying registration process, all you get is a pointer to a file that looks like it should be the exe file, but it is only about 1K bytes.

Have you folks looked at Studio 6 yet? Seems like they went from 4-6 pretty quickly. Too many problems with 5.1?

Will pololu look at supporting 6 soon? :confused:

Hello.

It seems that in the last few days Atmel has released the production version of Atmel Studio 6 and replaced all of their AVR Studio 4 and AVR Studio 5 downloads with a text file that just says “dummy”, so you can’t get AVR Studio anymore. By the end of the day, we should have an upgraded installer for our AVR Library that works with Atmel Studio 6. I will post an update here when it is available. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The main thing about Atmel Studio 6 is that it now supports their Cortex M3 devices which are not AVRs, hence the name change from “AVR Studio” to “Atmel Studio”. With regards to AVR programming, Atmel Studio 6 seems pretty similar to AVR Studio 5.1 except for the replacement of the word “AVR” with “Atmel” in some places.

–David

Thanks David,
I was hoping this was the case. I am trying to get a good ICE development system going for the SVP1284P controller. Planning to use the JTAGICE3 and studio 6 (moving from studio4). I have constructed a cable that converts the signals on the LCD socket to the pinout needed for the JTAG 10 pin ICE interface. I also cut the short on J43 and installed a 2 pin jumper position there so that I can connect the nRST of the JTAG to the board with a jumper wire from the ICE3 or install a jumper bar and essentially select between JTAG programming through the ICE# and ISP programming with the circuitry on the SVP. See any reason that this will not work?

No, I don’t see any particular reason why it wouldn’t work. Let us know what your results are!

We have now released new versions of the AVR Development Bundle and the Pololu AVR Library Installer for Windows that support Atmel Studio 6.0. You can get them from the “Download Instructions” section of the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library User’s Guide. I still have to update the rest of our documentation to say “Atmel Studio 6.0” instead of “AVR Studio 5.1” and maybe change a few screenshots, but you should be able to start using Atmel Studio 6.0 with our library.

–David

OK I have JTAGICE3 working with the base SVP1284 base board. I built an adapter board to take the LCD data line from PC 2,3,4,5 to a JTAG header and to move the 4 data lines to the LCD display to port PA 2,3,4,5 . The JTAG interface works fine, we can talk to the board, load and debug a program. But we cannot seem to get the LCD to work correctly, all we see is a line on the display with all characters a full block.

We modified the LCD.h file to move everything to port a from port c, recompiled the library and everything builds without complaint. But we are clearly missing something.
any ideas?

If you change the pin assignments in OrangutanLCD.h you will also have to recompile the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library. Did you do that?

–David

Yes we did recompile the library— mentioned that above. I am wondering if we need to define port A as an output somewhere?

Oops, sorry for missing that. It looks like we have hardcoded PORTC into OrangutanLCD.cpp in OrangutanLCD::send and OrangutanLCD::sendData, so you will need to modify those functions. I would also search for all occurrences of PORTC and DDRC to see if there is anything else you need to change.

–David

We have not been able to get the LCD to work sending data to Port A yet, but we have been able to use the JTAG ICE3 to debug and have used the USB serial port to print while debugging.
We did move the port C writes to the LCD to port A which prevented conflicts with JTAG.

Not sure if we will bother to figure out the rest that need to be done to actually use the LCD data on Port A 2345. Not sure if those pins are used for any analog inputs that we would need to worry about.

The Studio 6 debugging is nice once you get the hang of it. Much easier to debug. Just tricky to get connected right.