Stepper motor wiring

I have a motor from Pololu (Stepper Motor: Bipolar, 200 Steps/Rev, 42×38mm, 2.8V, 1.7 A/Phase) that I’m trying to wire to a 4-pin motor connector (A /A B /B) (part number EDZ950/4). Can anyone tell me which wire goes where? In terms of the four green, blue, black, and red wires? Thank you!

Hello,

The EDZ950/4 is a terminal block, and just gives you the ability to make a connection without soldering or adding a connector to the motors wires itself. Wiring your stepper motor is going to depend on the pinout of the controller you are wiring it to. If the terminal block is labeled A /A B /B, then probably the two A connections are intended for one stepper motor coil (e.g. black and green) and the two B connections are intended for the other stepper motor coil (e.g. red and blue). The specific connections don’t really matter (e.g. black to A and green to /A or black to A and green to /A should both be fine); the main thing that matters is not pairing up wires from different coils. You can see more about that on the second FAQ on the stepper motor product page.

Ultimately, if you try something and it doesn’t work, swapping any two wires from different coils (e.g. red and black) should fix it.

-Dan