Stepper motor selection using DRV8825 stepper driver

Hello.

The VREF voltage on the DRV8825 driver determines the current limit for the driver and the proper current limit will depend on the stepper motor you are using with the driver. So, if 1.5A is the rated current per phase of your stepper motor, then you should adjust VREF so that 1.5A is the current limit on the driver. You can find instructions for setting the current limit in our Setting the Current Limit on Pololu Stepper Motor Driver Carriers video.

-Nathan

hello, i have a similiar question, it might be obivous but i’m a bit skeptical.

i’m planning to buy this stepper motor of yours as an upgrade, to be driven by the DRV8825 stepper drivers of yours currently installed on my system.

I can understand that the torque is on the par with other similiarly sized more common nema 23 stepper motors even though it’s per coil current is 1A, because it’s rated at 8.6 Volts.

My questions are,
-Can i completely painlessly drive this stepper with DRV8825, just because that driver is rated around 2A(considering i have a motor power supply of 12 volts and more than enough amperes)?
-Is the only parameter that affects the heating of the DRV8825 carrier the driving current? I mean would driving a much lower torque nema 17 stepper with 1A per coil and 2.2V rating cause the same amount of heat to be generated on the chip, just because their amperage is the same?

I’ve been very late on a project and now i have to change the motors due to an unexpectedly high mass, any fast help is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Hello, gezzer.

We expect that #1477 stepper motor to work well with our DRV8825 carrier. There will be some differences in heat generation based on your motor and power supply, but the primary influence to how much the driver heats up is the current limit setting (and corresponding current draw).

-Derrill

When you use the bipolar driver to drive the unipolar stepper, can you use the fast decay or slow decay mode? I’m trying to test this architecture. Are there any other precautions?