Step-up regulator for rc-planes (ESC 5V to 7.4 V)

Hi,

have looked through the product space, but not being that electronic savvy, I got into some problems interpretating the step-up regulator specs.

My problem is very simple, I have a Hubsan Spy Hawk system with some extra receiver boards. Though the brand has some interesting technical solutions, they are totally single minded regarding power design. Their receivers run on 7.4V, the whole desing built around only using 2S Lipos. Since I use their Tx/Rx system in other plans, mainly Flitetest.com builds, some needing 11.1V, 3S Lipos to operate efficiently, I have a problem.

Most RC receiver manufacturers use 5V supplied from the ESC/BEC’s most of us uses to regulate the motors. Hubsan has a ESC feed, but it do not supply current to the receiver. Tried to, but… I also made a patch cable taking out the 5V to the ordinary power feed on the receiver, but the ailerons only works once, the board then un-binding itself.

So, I have two options, one 11.1V to 7.4V from my 3S lipos, these needing a step-down.
Or, having a patch from the ESC/BEC feed, with a step-up from 5V (~2-4A) to 7.4V to feed the Rx.

I prefer the latter, since I then only need the ESC feed to power, not an extra cable from my 3S lipos. A more integrated solution.

But, which regulator is the optimal one, from power, size and weight as well as heat perspective?

Cheers

Hello.

Either voltage regulator type (step-up regulator or step-down regulator) can work for you, but between the two, we generally recommend using a step-down regulator. With a step-down regulator, it will run cooler than using a step-up regulator because the input current will be less than the output, so the board will overall handle less current. However, choosing the optimal regulator for your system will depend on other factors (e.g. current draw of your RC receiver, what are you using to source your 11.1V and 5V, size constraints). You can see our full selection of voltage regulators here and compare their specifications to see which voltage regulator is more appropriate for your setup.

- Amanda

Thanks Amanda.