Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V10F5 issue on rc multirotor

Hi Claire,

I am using a Pololu 5V, 1A Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V10F5, on a rc multirotor, recently I have experienced what seems to be a stoppage in power supply(Shutdown) from the voltage regulator.

The electrical load connected to the regulator draws less than 0.1Amp @ 5Volts. (a naze32 flight control computer and hitec optima9 receiver), the power supply to the regulator is 16Volts (4s lipo battery).

I did not bridge the shutdown pin with my vin pin… would this have been a potential cause for the shutdown? will bridging the pins keep the regulator in a permanently on state?

Thanks!

Hi.

I moved your post to a new thread, since it seems like a separate issue about a different regulator.

You do not need to connect the SHDN pin of that regulator to anything unless you want to put it in low-power mode.

Could you tell me more about how you are using the regulator and the issue you are having? Does the regulator work at all? If so, how long does it work before shutting down? Have you measured the current draw of your flight controller and receiver in your application? Are you testing the regulator in an enclosure? Could you post pictures of your setup?

-Claire

Hi Claire,

Regulator seems to be working fine… I am.unable to get the phenomenon to repeat on ground, hence dont really have a time as to how long it takes fior the shutdown to occur. On that day, it hapoened roughly about 5 miniutes after powering up.

My load to the regulator is 5v 0.1amps. Currebtly i have been testing the regulator.on ground with thr same set up.

I will post a picture of the connections or the drawing of the connections later

Hi Claire,
I am having trouble getting my scanner to work, will upload my wiring diagram when i get the scanner replaced… In the mean time, out of curiosity, what would happen if I drive the shutdown pin high by bridging it to the V.in pin? My Power supply has a maximum of 16.8V.

Thanks!

The shutdown pin is already connected to VIN through a 100k resistor, so connecting it directly to VIN should not have any effect. Since you are not able to get the regulator to turn off while testing it, it sounds like it could be an overheating issue that could be exacerbated by how the regulator is mounted. In that case (and for most circuit debugging), it would be more useful to see pictures of your setup than a wiring diagram (though both would be even better). Also, you mentioned again that your load is only 0.1A, but have you actually measured that?

-Claire