Steering RP5

What’s the best way to determine if the tracks are both going at the same speed on an RP5? I’ve been reading about wheel encoders but it doesn’t seem like that’s an option for the RP5 chassis. Is there some kind of “standard” algorithm that would help me keep it going straight?

Likewise, I’d like to figure out how to make predictable turns. I’ve been playing with trying to determine times empirically but not much luck so far.

Thanks

Joe

Hello.

It’s generally difficult to do what you’re trying to do. Encoders are the main thing you can try to work in there, though they’re less useful with a tracked chassis since you have more slipping when you’re turning. You can also try adding something like a compass or gyro to hold your heading or make consistent turns.

- Jan

Thanks. I just got the MMA7341 accelerometer board from there, thinking I might be able to use it to track direction. Not sure it will do what I want though, I seem to be getting random readings. Or maybe I’m just using it wrong, dunno. I’ll play with that as it looks like my only option.

Thanks

Joe

Just to clarify, I said compass or gyro; an accelerometer is less likely to be useful. You also got the less sensitive (i.e. larger range) accelerometer; if you want to be tracking drift on the order of a few degrees per second, you’re going to need something more sensitive. Something like the LPY510AL gyro is probably the most applicable sensor we carry.

- Jan

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Joe