Solarbotics RM2 stock

I’m guessing you guys are wondering why you suddenly can’t keep the Solarbotics RM2 motors in stock. Well, someone discovered that RM2s are one of the best drop-in replacements for upgrading flywheel nerf guns.

http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23611

They are cheaper than almost any other upgrade motors, and you don’t need the (relatively) high current that Tamiya 3V Dash motors do. In other words, you can power a Nerf Stryfe with it’s stock 4xAA batteries and get highly improved ranges. I’d guess that about half the guys getting these motors will struggle with just putting them in, let alone trying to re-work the gun to use LiPos, and then have to monitor voltage and stuff.

I purchased my pair of motors, and they will be going into my Stryfe in the next few days for my next Nerf war in a couple weeks.

So yeah, I’m not sure how long the run on RM2s will last, but that’s at least part of where it came from.

Hello.

Thanks letting us know about this! We were definitely wondering about the increase in sales, and it seems to correspond with the time of that NerfHaven post. Now that we know what people are using them for, we’ll have to try it out for ourselves!

- Grant

So, it definitely improves the performance. I’m also using 7.2V RC style battery pack. The RM2’s rev up audibly higher, to the point that the blaster’s* flywheels aren’t quite balanced enough to handle it well. It still works, but at speed a bit higher than the stock motors (also at 7.2V) the blaster starts to vibrate and buzz a lot more.

If I had any experience balancing RC plane propellers I would attempt that on the flywheels.

Don’t expect the clip-system darts to fly straight. They don’t. If you get a Barricade and to the same mod you could fire Dart Tag darts or whistlers, and they fly much better. You will need a battery upgrade for that blaster though, as it only uses 3xAAs in stock form. You want at least 6V for these motors to make it worthwhile.

*I use the term “blaster” instead of gun as a good habit for discussing foam-flinging devices. Cops don’t like guns, but Nerf “blasters” have been perfectly acceptable on public parks and similar places, while air-soft “guns” and paintball “guns” are most certainly not. It’s a practical (though not technically accurate) distinction.