Simple sketch for Zumo Robot

I recently assembled the Zumo Robot. I wanted a simple robot that I could learn from and do some simple coding. I would like a simple sketch to move the robot forward then turn left, pause then move forward and so on.

I took a look at the example in the Zumo Motors and some of the other examples. These are way beyond what I want right now. Can anyone provide me a simple sketch to move the robot forward, turn left, turn right, reverse and stop. I am having a hard time figuring out how to make the robot move to a specific length or duration then turn and move in a different direction for a specific duration or length.

I looked through the forum and I did not see any posts for this information.

Hello.

You could use just the commands inside of the for loop in the ZumoMotorExample sketch you mentioned to move the motors:

motors.setLeftSpeed(speed);
motors.setRightSpeed(speed);
delay(2);

The delay determines how long the motor runs for in milliseconds (so 2000 would be 2 seconds) between motor commands. The “speed” is a number form -400 and 400, with negative numbers causing the motor to turn in the reverse direction and “0” being stopped."

I hope this helps you get started!

-Derrill

This is kind of what I had in mind. I put this together with some ideas I gathered here and there. I played around with this for awhile until I was able to get it to run around in a rectangle. Simple not complicated. I am running 1:150 motors so I am not moving as fast as the standard motors that come with the pre-assembled version. If you are running those you might want to slow it down some. I am working on a ping sensor to add to it and a servo.

/*
Simple sketch to move the Zumo robot forward and turn in a 
rectangle then stop and repeat
by KWReader 2/2014
*/

#include <ZumoMotors.h>

#define LED_PIN 13
#define REVERSE_SPEED     200 // 0 is stopped, 400 is full speed
#define TURN_SPEED        200
#define FORWARD_SPEED     200
#define REVERSE_DURATION  500 // ms
#define TURN_DURATION     500 // ms
#define FORWARD_DURATION  5000 // ms
#define STOP              0   // 0 is stopped
#define STOP_DURATION     100 // ms

ZumoMotors motors;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(LED_PIN, OUTPUT);

// uncomment one or both of the following lines if your motors' directions need to be flipped
  //motors.flipLeftMotor(true);
  //motors.flipRightMotor(true);
}

void loop()
{
  motors.setSpeeds(FORWARD_SPEED,FORWARD_SPEED);
  delay(FORWARD_DURATION);

motors.setSpeeds(TURN_SPEED, -TURN_SPEED);
  delay(TURN_DURATION);

motors.setSpeeds(FORWARD_SPEED,FORWARD_SPEED);
  delay(FORWARD_DURATION);

motors.setSpeeds(TURN_SPEED, -TURN_SPEED);
  delay(TURN_DURATION);

motors.setSpeeds(STOP, STOP);
  delay(STOP_DURATION);

motors.setSpeeds(REVERSE_SPEED,REVERSE_SPEED);
  delay(REVERSE_DURATION);

}

Thank you for letting us know you were able to get a program working and for posting your code.

-Derrill