Simple motor controller + limit switch + one revolution

Hi,

I currently have a Pololu simple motor controller (18v25), motor, power supply, and limit switch. I would like to have the motor spin one rotation when the limit switch is hit. Does anyone know if this is possible with just the components I have at hand.

I downloaded the simple motor control center software but am unsure what next I should do.

Any advice helps.

Thanks

Hello.

Are you trying to use the limit switch to stop the motor after it rotate a full revolution or are you trying to use the limit switch to start the motor and somehow command it to turn for one revolution? Please note that the limit switch feature on the Simple Motor Controllers is intended to be used to stop a motor. When configured as a “Forward limit switch” activating the switch will prevent the motor from moving forward. Similarly, if it is configured as a “Reverse limit switch”, activating it will prevent the motor from moving in reverse.

If you can describe what you are trying to do in more detail, I might be able to give you some suggestions.

Brandon

Hi Brandon thanks for reading my post.

The latter. I want the motor to be static until the limit switch is hit which, at that point, will trigger the motor to complete one full 360 degree rotation. After the full rotation the motor will cease movement until the limit switch is hit again.

I read up on the forward / reversing limit switch but that is not exactly what I am going for.

It sounds like the Simple Motor Controller is not a good solution for what you are trying to do. As I mentioned in my previous post, the limit/kill switch feature on the Simple Motor Controller is for stopping the motor. Additionally, the Simple Motor Controller cannot do closed-loop position control, so you would not be able to use it to turn the motor precisely 1 revolution with just a push of a button like you described.

You might be able to make a system that does what you described using a separate microcontroller like an Arduino to process your button and trigger the motor. You could then use a bumper switch to detect when the motor at the position you want it to stop in and drive the motor until the bumper switch is toggled. To drive the motor, you could still use the Simple Motor Controller and command from the Arduino via the TTL serial interface.

Brandon