Similar to Serial 8 Servo Controller

Hello Friends

I am doing a project similar to servo controller and goes like this

I need to send serially a byte(8bits) to my HBridge DC Motor controller for direction and speed. I think the 4/5 bits is for speed and a single bit for direction. I need to send another 8bits for address(probably make up) and the last 8bit for error detection. Now looking at the serial 8-Servo controller, I see similarities to what I want to implement.

My thinking:
Connect serial cable to max232 for ttl levels and then either to shift registers or to PICF16F628 microcontroller(it has USART functionality) from there to control the DC motor. Any ideas friends? I am unsure how to program the PIC microcontroller.

Also how would I check if I am outputting 8bit binary on my serial port? Thanks

Bathini

Hello.

I’ve moved your topic to the general software and microcontrollers category since it is not really about one of our products.

First off, is there a reason you aren’t using one of our serial motor controllers? They do almost exactly what you are describing, and probably with better performance than you could achieve with the PIC16F628. It sounds like you don’t have that much experience with embedded development, but if you already have a setup for developing with the PICs, you can incrementally build up to what you are describing. Microchip’s datasheets are generally quite user-friendly, and they have a lot of application notes, too, and they describe how to set up the UART for 8-bit operation. For testing, the best thing is an oscilloscope. If you don’t have access to that, you can use your RS-232 adapter and connect to your computer. You can then send something from the computer, modify it in the PIC (e.g. add 1 to the character), and send it back to see if it worked.

- Jan

Hello

Thanks for your response. The only reason I am using the PIC16F628 with DC Motor is because I have already built the circuit with an H-bridge. I built this from this site (home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/HBridge.html) the last circuit at the bottom. If I had known about this earlier I would have built the Serial 8 Servo Controller from the start.

Bathini