ShiftBrite / Maestro serial output

Our lab group just got the ShiftBrite LED module, which looks really flexible. We are currently using the Maestro Controller to actuate an arm.

I am wondering if it is possible to output serial data from the computer through the Maestro to the ShiftBrite, which essentially is an extension of a prospective command, that a Maestro Channel Output can output a given serial stream. Currently the only way for the Maestro to communicate with the ShiftBrite is to use a loaded script [like in the examples section]. It would be awesome for a computer interface to manipulate the ShiftBrite through the Maestro.

Any thoughts?

Hello.

If you have enough channels available, the method described in this other forum post should work for you.

- Ryan

OK, that is a solution. Raises eyebrow
So the order is:
Computer->Write color position to Maestro Servo
Maestro Script reads color position, converts to 0-1024 intensity
Loads data onto the ShiftBrite

What.

So for a shiftbrite, we need 4 Channels [Originally] + 3 Channels [Color Position] + 1 Channel[Enable Digital]
That makes 7-8 channels.
There’s gotta be a better way.

I wonder if it is possible to make a Maestro-Like controller for serial communication.

Hello,

The example code Ryan linked to only uses six channels. Why did you say “4 Channels [Originally]” and why do you want to use the enable line?

Still, if the channel usage concerns you, you could follow the other suggestion at that link and send a “Restart Script at Subroutine with Parameter” serial command to send 16 bits of data at a time, calling a separate subroutine to toggle the latch pin.

What exactly do you mean by “a Maestro-Like controller for serial communication”? If you can re-program the Maestro to be exactly that thing, it should be obvious to you that we could potentially sell it pre-programmed that way. So I am not sure what there is left to wonder about. By the way, there are lots of different USB-to-serial, USB-to-parallel, USB I/O boards, and USB-to-SPI adapters out there that could also be used to control ShiftBrites.

-Paul

Thanks for your help. Our project group has decided to use another controller for serial output. We are still using the Maestro for everything [Motors, Potentiometers] else though. It would’ve been really amazing if we had the one little board handle so much.

Okay, I am glad that you have a solution. But I am not sure if I was clear enough in my previous post - you can certainly have your ShiftBrite on the Micro Maestro, control it serially, and still have 3 channels totally free, which is as much, I think, as you can hope for on a 6-channel board.

-Paul