Serial Port Exception?

Can’t upload to A-star.
When I try to upload the BlinkLEDs sketch to my A-star, I get the following error message.
I’m a little lost. The computer seems to recognize the device, it shows up on any COM Port I plug it into. Any thoughts?

processing.app.debug.RunnerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:160)
	at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:78)
	at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:713)
	at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:686)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2168)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port 'COM7'.
	at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:107)
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:144)
	... 5 more
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM7; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
	at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
	at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:101)
	... 6 more

Hello.

Have you ever been able to upload sketches to your A-Star 32U4 successfully before? Can you post a screenshot showing your Device Manager with the “Ports (COM & LPT)” entry expanded? Also, can you post a screenshot showing the Tools menu of your Arduino IDE?

From the error message, it looks like the COM7 is not available. Do you have any other program (e.g. serial terminal) running that might be using COM7?

- Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I’ve never been able to upload to the A-star. I have uploaded to Arduino Uno and SparkFun RedBoard without issue. I have tried on COM port 6, 8, 10, and 11, all with the same result.

I don’t think I have any other programs using COM7, though I’m not sure how I’d verify that.

Thanks
Jesse

device%20manager

Hi, Jesse.

Thank you for posting those screenshots. I do not see anything wrong with your settings. Can you try loading the BlinkLEDs sketch again onto the A-Star using the reset button revival method described in the “Reviving using the Arduino IDE” section of the A-Star 32U4 User’s Guide? Let us know the results.

- Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I think the issue is that my access to the device was blocked by some sort of software. I had our IS department grant me access to the devices, and now I’m able to upload files. Thank you for your help.

Jesse

1 Like