S7V8F5 - squeal/ whine

Hello,

I have been using a Pololu 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V8F5 S7V8F5https://www.pololu.com/product/2123/specs) for a 6v gel battery setup I am using. My setup is drawing 0.33amps at 6v.

I am using my setup near sensitive wildlife and need no noise (especially at high frequencies) The regulator produces a squeal/ whine noise when in operation. Is there any way to reduce this (I have tried adding a large capacitor on the input side to no avail).

When using a lithium battery and some of your step up regulators some of the regulators with larger available outputs these seem to be silent. Would either of these produce no noise
s9v11x
S18V20F5

Many thanks,
Sam

Hi, Sam.

We do not characterize the audible noise of our regulators, so unfortunately, I cannot say what other boards might be quieter. I suspect the squeal is made worse by the low current draw of your system. The simplest thing to try would be adding an extra load to see if that affects the sound.

For my curiosity, are you using the regulator in a device for wildlife photography?

-Claire