Running Servos with Microcontroller?

So this isn’t exactly a robot question, but I figured this was a good place to ask. I’m a mechanical engineer working on an engineering design project. We are building a football-themed arcade style game where a ball will be launched through a moving field goal post. The plan is to have the goal post driven by a servo with the zero point being straight up and down, and the ability to tilt around 45 degrees to either side. I assume this means that I need a servo limited to 90 degrees of rotation, but please correct me if I’m wrong. Also, some of the other sensors we are using will most likely be run from a Renesas rx62n microcontroller. Would it be possible to run the servo from the controller as well? If so, how might it be done? Also, how could we get it to reverse rotation once it hits each maximum. Any help is appreciated!

-Chris

Hello.

I am not familiar with your microcontroller, so I can’t give you much targeted help there, but it sounds like your questions really boil down to not understanding how servos work. Our company president has a series of blog posts on servos that I think you would find helpful. It starts with:

pololu.com/blog/12/introduction-to-servos

It sounds like you will find the post on the servo control interface especially helpful, and there are also posts about how to control a servo with a microcontroller.

By the way, if you want to simplify things, you could always consider using one of our Micro Maestro servo controllers. It sounds like you could get it to do what you want with a simple script, or you could have your microcontroller send the Maestro servo position commands over serial, or you could do some combination of the two.

- Ben

Thanks for the quick response! I’ll read over some of those blog posts and see if I can get it figured out.