Romi Power

Is there a way to power the motors with an external supply? It is chewy through batteries at a high rate.

Hi

Are you using one of our Romi control or power boards or any other Romi accessories?

-Claire

We just have the basic Romi for First kit, https://www.pololu.com/product/4022

There is no practical way to separate power to the motors from the main battery supply. What type of batteries are you using (i.e. NiMH or alkaline)? What are you doing with the robot, and how long do the current batteries last?

-Claire

Following up on this question… I was wondering if a USB power brick could be used to power the Romi (FIRST configuration). These bricks typically output only 5V but the Romi board recommends the 7V rechargeable batteries or the 9V AA batteries. Claire, do you think the 5V charging bricks would work with the Romi regulators?
I have successfully used a brick to power a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ in other applications.

No, a 5V source would not be appropriate for running the Romi 32U4 Control Board. The on-board 5V regulator is a purely step-down regulator, so supplying it with 5V would mean its output, the 5V rail for the control board, would always be less than 5V.

-Claire