Romi 32U4 Firmware Not Compatible

Hi everyone,

I have a Romi 32U4 with a Rasberry Pi 4 and I’ve tried loading the img files from 2023, 2022, and 2021, but it shows on wpilib.local that the firmware is not compatible for either and it won’t let me update the firmware since the button is grayed out, even in writable mode. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am on the most recent Romi Service Version.

Thanks

Hello.

We are not involved with the software side of the WPILib project, so you would need to contact the WPILib team if the problem is software related. However, we can help you determine if your Romi hardware is functioning properly. For example, you can test the Romi hardware separately by removing the Raspberry Pi for now and using a computer to program the control board. You can find instructions for programming the control board in the Programming the Romi 32U4 Control Board section of the Romi 32U4 Control Board user’s guide. I recommend starting with something simple like the Arduino blink example to make sure you can program it successfully.

If you want to test other hardware on the robot, you can then move on to some of the examples in our Romi 32U4 Arduino Library. For example, you can use the MotorTest.ino to test the motors and motor drivers. Please note that the MotorTest.ino example waits for you to press the A button before driving the motors forward and backwards in an alternating pattern. I recommend either lifting the robot so its wheels are off the ground or putting it on the ground in an open space to avoid having it drive off of a desk or table.

Brandon