Robotics Projects

I’m building a fast line follower. Most of the parts so far are from Pololu.

If you’d like to see an article about my construction with plenty of photos…

PICRobots.com/Article.pdf

and you can email Richard@PICRobots.com

Line Following Sensor Arrangement Algorithm
from Pololu robotics forum
Author: richardv2
Forum: Sensors and Actuators
Date: 2008-03-02

I’m building several line following sensor arrays. One is an 8-inline array with QRD1114 sensors spaced at 0.5 inches. The ‘line’ will be 0.75 inch electrical tape. I want a more precise reading, so closer spacing, allowing two sensors to react when both are over the line, will give me more readings per inch.

I also have a theory about an inverted V array, like this:

#.........# front
.#.......#
..#.....#
...#...#
....#.#
.....#
***ROBOT***
***BODY****

(# = sensor. periods are just spacers so your screen won’t delete or ignore the spacing.)

My theory is that putting the prongs of the V out front, that I will be able to get earlier detection of 90 degree intersections and greater than 90 degree turns. (And other complex turns that might ‘fool’ an inline array.) And I equate earlier detection with the ability to go faster and still make the turn, therefore traversing a course or maze faster.

I’ve completed the inline array, and once working, will make the inverted V array and test both pretty extensively.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this? I’ve seen one robot on the net with a V, but with the point of the V out front, but not an array like above.

I would like to hear your thoughts or ideas on this.

Hello.

I like the idea of moving your sensors forward for earlier detection of turns and sharp curves, but it’s not immediately clear to me how a V-pattern would be better than simply placing a linear array where the tips of your V would be. What was your motivation to use a V rather than just moving the entire linear array forward? I’m very interested to hear the results of your tests!

- Ben