Required files?

A suggestion for a sticky at the top of this forum should include what files are needed by you for generating a stencil from someone’s design.
As such, that is my question…what files are needed for a SMT stencil? Do you want all the gerber files or just the top solder layer?

Hello,

The best file is a gerber file with embedded apertures (RS-274X) of your stencil layer (also called paste or cream layers). The stencil layer is NOT a solder mask layer (typically the green insulator on a PCB), which has expanded apertures and includes through-hole pads and vias. If your software does not support a stencil layer, you can make a copy of your design and delete all the copper except for your pads and then send me a gerber of that layer.

If you have multiple designs you want to submit at once, please send them in a single .zip file.

A real dedicated site for the stencils is coming, but for now, we have some basic information at http://www.SMTstencil.com, and you can email your file directly to me at jan at this domain.

- Jan

Jan,

Thanks for the reply. I emailed you my file yesterday, so am all set now, thanks. I use EagleCad and will try and make a short “tutorial” for other EagleCad users in case the question comes up again. Thanks again for your help.

James