Relay and SVP-1284 setup

Hello, I am about to purchase one of pololu’s “Pololu Basic 2-Channel SPDT Relay Carrier with 5VDC Relays (Assembled)” relay boards. Before I do so I want to understand how to set it up. My micro controller is a orangutan svp-1284…When hooking the relay board pins,EN1…VDD…GND and EN2…VDD…GND , to my svp, which pins do I connect them to? https://www.pololu.com/picture/view/0J1897 Do the relay board pins go into the servo pins, or do they go in the black pin block in between to the servo pins and the 6 usb/avr pins. Help!

Hello.

There are several ways the relay board can be connected to the Orangutan SVP-1284. The exact pins you connect will depend on how you are using the relay board and how you are programming your Orangutan. In general, you will probably want to connect the VDD pin on the relay board to one of the VCC pins on the Orangutan, GND on the relay board to one of the GND pins on the Orangutan, and the EN pins on the relay board to whichever I/O pins on the Orangutan you wish to use to control the relays.

-Nathan

If I wanted to plug my relay in by pins, looking at the pin assignment table, would the relay be a digital or analog output?
I am new at this and your previous response led me to believe that plugging my relay into pins with matching labels would work, If I were to do this how would I program, with the 3 relay wires sprinkled through various pins?

Hello.

When we talk about analog pins in the user’s guide, we are talking about inputs. All of the microcontroller pins on the Orangutan, including the analog input pins, can be used as digital inputs and outputs. Once you connect the EN of the relay to a digital output, controlling the relay is then just like doing any other digital output pin manipulation, so perhaps you should work on that independent of the relays first.

-Nathan