RC Switch to convert IR signal and send it to Micro Maestro

Hello.

I would like to use the “button or switch to control servos” script to control 3 servos connected to a Micro Maestro 6 channels.

However, I would not use a physical button, but a Keyes IR Remote instead, connected to a Pololu 2802 RC Switch which would convert the IR signals to an analog signal and send it to the Micro Maestro.

What I want to do is just this:

1. Pressing a button on the remote control
  2. Servos go to position A, remaining there waiting for a new command
  3. Pressing a button again on the remote control
  4. Servos go to position B, remaining there waiting for a new command

…and so on, between positions A and B. Pretty simple.

It seems to me that the above mentioned script fits perfectly to this situation, but I don’t know if the wiring on Micro Maestro should be done the same way described in the manual. I mean:

• A wire connecting the OUT pin on the RC Switch and the Signal pin on Micro Maestro
  • A wire connecting the GND pins on both boards
  • An 1 to 100 kilo ohms resistor connecting the Signal pin and the 5V OUT pin, both on Micro Maestro

I would also appreciate some advice on how to make the connections between the Keyes receiver and the 2802 RC Switch. I suppose it would be:

• A wire connecting the Signal pin on the Keyes Receiver and the RC-IN pin on the RC Switch
  • A wire connecting the GND pins on both the Keyes Receiver and the RC Switch
  • A wire connecting the Signal pin on the Keyes Receiver and the VRC pin on the RC Switch
  • A wire connecting the VCC pin on the RC Switch and 5V OUT pin on Micro Maestro

I am sorry, I am not a “schematic designer” guy. I am completely ignorant on that. So, I make a draft or take a picture of my setup, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

I think you are on the right track with using the “button or switch to control servos” script to control your servos remotely with button pushes, but the way in which you are planning on interfacing your IR receiver with the Maestro through the #2802 RC switch will not work. First, the #2802 is intended to switch off and on loads, when you would probably want something more like the #2801, which has an output that is a digital logic high or low and that the Maestro can use as an input. However, both the #2801 and #2802 are designed to take a standard RC servo pulse as an input (the same signals that the Maestro generates), which is very different from the kind of signal that comes from an IR receiver. In general, an IR signal from a IR remote like the Keyes version you have needs to be decoded first to determine which button was pressed. We do not have a device that explicitly does that, but you might consider using one of the Arduino programmable controllers with something like this IRremote library.

-Jon

Hi Jon!

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Unfortunately, my project leaves too little room to accommodate an Arduino Uno. I tried an Arduino Pro Mini, but it was a nightmare.

Beginning from the fact that it doesn’t have an USB port, so one have to use an to upload the sketches and have to deal with connection problems between the 6 board pins and the corresponding Arduino holes. In this way, one is left with two choices: soldering the two boards or stay searching the correct position to put the 6 pins connected each time one needs to upload a sketch.

The other problem that takes me a week to solve was why the thing didn’t upload the schetches. After all, I learned that I had to connect the two reset pins located on both sides of the board. Go figure!

Enough! It must have a simple way to do the trick.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time.

You might consider using our A-Star micro, which is our smallest programmable microcontroller. It features an ATmega32U4, has a Micro-USB interface, and comes preloaded with an Arduino-compatible bootloader.

-Jon