Question about mapping using the VL53L1X sensor

Hey!

I have a VL53L1X optical sensor for distance detection, I collect its distance readings and try to represent with them some kind of map of the area it sees using Matlab software, I do this by rotating the sensor on a servo motor by 180 degrees, the degrees of the servo together With the reading of the distance I convert to the form of a Cartesian axis system. The problem is that when the sensor detects an object in front of it, it draws its edges and boundaries in a continuous conical shape together with the background behind it and not in separate sections that are more suitable for the background in relation to the object. what could be the problem? It may be related to the viewing angle of the sensor which is too large and needs to be reduced? If so, how do you do it?

I use this module: Pololu - VL53L1X Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator, 400cm Max

I am attaching a picture to illustrate the matter:

I get the following drawing:

On the other hand, this is what I would like and wish to receive:

Hello.

It does seem like the field of view (FoV) might be too wide for what you are trying to do. I do not know how you are configuring or collecting measurements from your VL53L1X, but if you have not looked into it already, you might try adjusting your sensor’s region of interest (ROI) to reduce the FoV. There are a few functions in our VL53L1X Arduino library related to this like setROISize, getROISize, and setROICenter, and ST has an application note (AN5191) with more information about programming the ROI in their VL53L1X documentation.

- Patrick